Turkey was created in 1923 from the Turkish remnants of the Ottoman Empire. Soon thereafter the country instituted secular laws to replace traditional religious fiats. In 1945 Turkey joined the UN and in 1952 it became a member of NATO. Turkey occupied the northern portion of Cyprus in 1974 to prevent a Greek takeover of the island; relations between the two countries remain strained. Periodic military offensives against Kurdish separatists have dislocated part of the population in southeast Turkey and have drawn international condemnation.
Turkey is situated in south-eastern Europe and south-western Asia (that portion of Turkey west of the Bosporus is geographically part of Europe), bordering the Black Sea, between Bulgaria and Georgia, and bordering the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Syria. Turkey has mostly mountains, a narrow coastal plain and a high central plateau (Anatolia). The highest point of Turkey is Mount Ararat on 5,166 m.
Istanbul is the only major city to span two continents and a fascinating melting pot of East and West. Istanbul is in the top ten of almost all travellers.
The climate in Turkey is hot, dry summers with mild, wet winters.
More infomration on other websites:
- Ahmet Emre’s Cyberport of Turkish Culture – Cyberport offers selected topics about Turkish Tourism, culture and destinations.
- Anatolia.com – Information on Turkey with travel, news, art, weather, and history information. On top of the page you will see the local times of main world cities so you can set up you time to the Turkish one.
- BBC News – Country Profile: Turkey – Provides overview, key facts and events, timelines and leader profiles along with current news.
- BigLoveTurkey – Turkey tourist information site with videos and pictures.
- BookinTurkey.com – A travel portal which provides information about popular Turkish destinations, activities, and attractions. Also offers online reservations for accommodations, transportation, packages, and cruises. [English/Turkish]
- CDC – Travelers’ Health: Turkey – Health information for travel to the country from the U.S. Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- CIA – The World Factbook: Turkey – Features map and brief descriptions of the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues.
- Country of Turkey – General information for the Republic of Turkey.
- Cultural Interactions – Guide to Turkey by Turkish travel specialist, travel writer, tourist guide and travel film-maker, Serif Yenin.
- Delights of Turkey – Tourism and travel guide for visitors to Turkey.
- Explore Turkey – General information on historical places, towns and cities in Turkey with many high resolution pictures. Blue Voyage section has information on Aegean and Mediterranean coasts of Turkey.
- Go to Turkey – Turkish Culture and Tourism Offices’ Website. Information about the culture and history of Turkey. Also information on tours, activities, property ownership, evisas, and photos from Turkey.
- GoTurkey.com – Turkey’s official tourism portal. Includes a travel guide and information on the country’s history, life, culture, and business.
- Guide Martine – Illustrated hypertext travel guide written by Guide Martine.
- Guide of Turkey – Promotion of turkey, Guide of Turkey, weather turkey,
- iExplore – Turkey – Adventure and experiential travel group provides a guide on the country and its history, events, places to go and activities with tours, photos and other tourist information.
- Lonely Planet – Turkey – Comprehensive facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- Lykia Guide – General information for hotels, restaurants and holiday rentals along the Lycian coast.
- My Turkey in Pictures – Created by an individual to help people discover Turkey with a lot of photos and links.
- One Way Turkey – Information on Turkey with tips, historical and regional attractions. Offers hotel reviews, photographs and maps of the country.
- Quest Turkey – Turkey information, real estate, lifestyle, food & drink, travel, and legal issues.
- Sansal, Burak – Information on the country prepared by an official tour guide organizing private and small group tours. Includes a CV, details about events, regions and historical sites.
- Stories of Turkey Travelers – A Turkey guide from Turkey travelers. Articles, stories, getting there directions and more from other Turkey travelers.
- Top Ten Turkey – Includes sections about tourist attractions, tips for travelers, and a list of museums.
- Trade.State.Gov – Turkey – Offers travel information including Quick Facts, embassies and consulates, entry and exit requirements, safety and security, local laws, health, transportation and Fact Sheet. From the U.S. Department of State.
- Turkey – Official site of the Ministry of Tourism. Provides sections on regional information, tourism statistics, facts for visitors and publications.
- Turkey – Brief information about Turkey and Anatolia (Asia Minor) and its rich history, archaeology, culture, and tourism.
- Turkey Holiday Information – Reference guide to all areas of Turkey, with photos and videos.
- Turkey Tourism – Turkey Tourism and travel guide. Information about history, places of attraction, and things to do. Has contact details for tourist information offices in all the main towns.
- Turkey Tourist Guide – Places to visit and things to do and see. Includes large photo gallery.
- Turkey Travel Guide – Extensive guide to Turkey from Focus Mediterranean Magazine.
- Turkey Travel Planner – Offering travel planning guidance by Tom Brosnahan with information, tips and photos .
- Turkey Travel Portal with Photos – Guide to all areas of Turkey, with maps, information, and photographs.
- Turkey with information about the country, the history, the life and the industry. – Information about the country, history, life, and industry. Contains useful contact details.
- Turkish Holidays – A brief guide to some of Turkey’s most popular and emerging resorts.
- Turkish Ministry of Tourism – Offers hotel directories, historical information, regional attractions, photographs and maps of the country.
- Turkish Odyssey – Offers tips regarding daily life, accommodation and travel services, as well as a photograph gallery with images of the country.
- Turkish Travel Blog – A blog about Turkish Travel experiences. Information published is intended to be a guide on destinations, people, culture and traditions in Turkey.
- University of Colorado – GovPubs: Turkey – Links to resources from the country’s own government, the United States, the United Nations and international sources.
- US Department of State – Turkey – Country portal offers a simple map and links to other U.S. government publications, most requiring additional navigation to find country-specific information.
- US Library of Congress – Country Study: Turkey – June 1995 country profile provides information about its historical setting, society and environment, economy, government and politics, and national security.
- Wikipedia – Turkey – Hyperlinked encyclopedia article covers the country’s history, government and politics, geography, economy, demographics, language and culture.
- Wink at Turkey – Our experience in Turkey after four years living there. Tourism, photo gallery, culture, and cooking.
- World Travel Guide – Turkey – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements.