The principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia – for centuries under the suzerainty of the Turkish Ottoman Empire – secured their autonomy in 1856; they united in 1859 and a few years later adopted the new name of Romania. The country gained recognition of its independence in 1878. It joined the Allied Powers in World War I and acquired new territories – most notably Transylvania – following the conflict. In 1940, Romania allied with the Axis powers and participated in the 1941 German invasion of the USSR. Three years later, overrun by the Soviets, Romania signed an armistice. The post-war Soviet occupation led to the formation of a Communist “people’s republic” in 1947 and the abdication of the king. The decades-long rule of dictator Nicolae CEAUSESCU, who took power in 1965, and his Securitate police state became increasingly oppressive and draconian through the 1980s. CEAUSESCU was overthrown and executed in late 1989. Former Communists dominated the government until 1996 when they were swept from power. Romania joined NATO in 2004 and the EU in 2007.
Romania has a continental climate: warm summery and cold winters.
Romania exists from the following tourist areas:
3. Southern Karpats
4. Donau Delta
5. Black Sea Coast
By Western tourists especially the bathing resorts to the black sea are visited in Romania. By the broad, flat and slowly expiring sand tears and the calm sea, this coast is very suitable for families with smaller children.
Typical for the Rumanian coast is the presence of range lakes, the so-called Laculs. Tourist seen the Rumanian black sea coast exists from three parts.
In the north the Dona delta, splendid nature reserve with a lot of rare birds.
Then the part with the places Mamaia, Constanta (airport), Magalia and Eforie-Nord and Eforie-sud.
In the Southern part lie a large number of systematically set up bathing resorts with names such as Olimp, Neptun, Jupiter, Saturn and Venus.
Also many cure travel to Romania are made. Especially in Sinaia against rheumatic pains.
Frequent excursions to Odessa (Soviet-Union) and Istanbul in Turkey.
North of the capital Bucharest, in the Southern Poina Brasov, a winter sport area in rise.
At west Transylvania is situated, an undulating area and at east Moldavia, the steppe area. In complete Romania old cities from the Roman and Byzantines era are to be found.
- Cultural Romtour – Travel guide and information on destinations in Romania and Bulgaria.
- In Your Pocket – Romania – Travel information for Brasov, Bucharest, and Poiana Brasov. Includes information on visas, history and language.
- Info Guide Romania – Descriptions and photos of cities, historical sites and attractions in the country.
- Infohub – Romania Tour – Collection of links to almost everything one needs to know when traveling to Romania.
- InfoTravel – Tourism portal with maps, pictures, tours, accommodation, reservations, car rental, ticketing.
- Itinerar.ro -Travel guide Romania – [English/French] Information about destinations in the Carpathians.
- Jiu Valley Portal – Virtual tour of Jiu Valley, the gateway to the Retezat National Park, providing information on destinations, cities, maps along with a photo gallery.
- Journeymart.com – Romania – Destination and travel information on Romania. Sights, cities, history, economy, people, society and need to know facts, when to go, things to see.
- Lonely Planet – Romania – Comprehensive facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- Romania and Moldova Travel Guide – A complete travel planning site for Romania and Moldova written by Lonely Planet’s resident “expert” on the countries.
- Romania Itinerary – Information about: road numbers – name, county traverse, locality reference, massif mountains accessible, natural sights and boarding house list.
- Romania Quest – Provides theme vacations, accommodations, locations and activities descriptions.
- Romanian Mountain Guide – Mountain guide for all the people who want to make trekking in Romanian Carpathians.
- Sinaia – Sinaia travel guide, also providing accommodation services.
- Travel to Romania – Brief travel guide providing information on history, tourist attractions, accommodation, transportation and some practical tips.
- Travel.State.Gov – Romania – Offers travel information including Quick Facts, embassies and consulates, entry and exit requirements, safety and security, local laws, health, transportation and Fact Sheet. From the U.S. Department of State.
- TravelNotes.org – Travel guide for Romania.
- TravelRomania – Information on famous Romanians, photos, travel tips and travelogues, reviewed books, summary of news, Romanian society, sports, recipes.
- Visit Romania – Photography and information on Romania’s sights, including Transylvania, Black Sea coast, Carpathian mountains, castles, monasteries, cities and villages.
- Welcome 2 Romania – A private guide to customized tours through the entire country.
- Word Travels – Travel Guide Romania – Includes information about regions and cities, attractions, events, entry requirements, climate, and airports.
- World Travel Guide – Romania – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements.