The Netherlands is often referred to by the name Holland. This terminology is not complete, as the provinces of North and South Holland in the western Netherlands are only two of the country’s twelve provinces.
The Netherlands is a densely populated and geographically low-lying country and is popularly known for its windmills, cheese, clogs (wooden shoes), dikes, tulips, bicycles and social tolerance. Its policies are liberal toward drugs, prostitution, same-sex marriage, abortion and euthanasia.
The country is host to the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, the International Court of Justice, the International Criminal Court and the European Union’s criminal intelligence agency (Europol) at The Hague.
The capital Amsterdam has Europe’s largest and best-preserved historic centre. In Amsterdam you will find it’s famous canals, Rembrandt, hashish and red lanterns, the epicentre of liberal attitudes. It is truly one of the world’s most alluring cities, with hundreds of 17th century houses, canals and museums where masters such as Van Gogh and Rembrandt are on permanent display. The tiny towns and villages just outside Amsterdam, e.g. Volendam, offer a rich tradition with locals sometimes still wearing traditional garb and wooden shoes. Marvel over typical Dutch landscapes with windmills, dikes and in late spring millions of blooming tulips.
Even more information:
- Guidor – Tourist Guide Organization – Information about the Guidor Tourist Guide Organisation and the possibility to book a guide.
- Holland.com – Travel information catered to people around the world. Information on museums? Pretend to be from Canada.
- Lonely Planet – Netherlands – Comprehensive facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- PlanetWare – Netherlands Tourism – Information about tourism and tourist related websites.
- Travel.State.Gov – Netherlands – Offers travel information including Quick Facts, embassies and consulates, entry and exit requirements, safety and security, local laws, health, transportation and Fact Sheet. From the U.S. Department of State.
- World Travel Guide – Netherlands – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements.