In addition to Denmark itself, the kingdom also includes the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
Denmark consists of the peninsula of Jutland and c. 407 islands, of which c. 78 are inhabited (2003). Of these, the largest and most densely populated are Zealand on which the capital of Copenhagen is situated, Funen and the north Jutland island.
Denmark is the smallest of the Scandinavian nations other than Iceland. Located between the North Sea on the west and the Baltic Sea on the southeast, Denmark is separated from Norway by the Skagerrak and from Sweden by the Kattegat and the Oresund. In the south, it shares a 68 km (43 mi) border with Germany. The Faeroe Islands and Greenland have been part of Denmark since the 14th century and are now self-governing units within the nation.
During the 9th century the name Denmark (Danmark: “border district of the Danes”) was used for the first time. Subsequently, Denmark ruled over much of Scandinavia, which developed a common Nordic culture. At the same time, because of Denmark’s proximity to Germany, Denmark has also been influenced by German culture.
Denmark has a temperate marine climate, which is mild for its latitude. The country receives the heating effect of the North Atlantic Drift, part of the warm Gulf Stream. The mean temperature for February, the coldest month, is -0.4 deg C (31 deg F), and for July, the warmest month, 17 deg C (63 deg F). Average precipitation is 664 mm (26 in) annually. July and August are the wettest months, and the spring months are the driest. Denmark is subject to marine and continental air masses, and great differences occur in the day-to-day weather, depending on the direction of the prevailing winds.
- The Backpacking Site – Find information on every aspect of backpacking and low cost travel in Denmark. The featured articles can be discussed.
- Denmark Travel Attraction Search – Search for tourist sites, view photos. With list of top-rated travel attractions, cities and towns.
- Lonely Planet – Denmark – Facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- Visit Denmark – The official tourism and travel information guide to Denmark with Danish hotel links, maps, pictures, flags and other relevant travel and tourism info. Visit Denmark is available in 12 language versions.
- World Travel Guide – Denmark – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements.
- World66 – Denmark – Travel guide based on reader-submitted information.