The republic Azerbaijan with its capital Baku, has a surface of 86,600 km2 and 8.1 million (2007) population.
In Azerbaijan you can travel freely, with exception of certain unsafe areas (see ‘ unsafe areas ‘) as long as you take into account the travel recommendation mentioned below.
The WHO (World Health Organisation) sees, at this moment, no reason to advise against travelling in Azerbaijan because of the recent developments concerning the bird influenza. For up-to-date information on the countries where the bird influenza virus has broken out please refer to www.who.int . On the same website you will find also more information on the bird influenza, among which the precaution measures to take.
The border between Azerbeidzjan and Armenia has been closed. The border crossing by means of Jalama to Russia (Dagestan) is only open for passport holders of former Sovjet countries. It is advised that you carry a copy of your passport for possible control of papers. Concerning crime is not advised to carry valuable matters too visible. We advice you to use official taxi’s and not to travel alone after sunset. It is advised not to make any photograph of the underground railway and/or buildings which are monitored by soldiers or police force.
Travelling must be avoided near the border area with Nagorno Karabach, as well as place which lie in the south west of Azerbaijan in the armistice area. We recommend not to travel in the northern (Russian) kaukasus.
- Advantour – Azerbaijan Travel – Guide to Azerbaijan and its ancient cities. Find Azerbaijan city guides, pictures, and travel information.
- Lonely Planet – Azerbaijan – Comprehensive facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- A to Z of Azerbaijan – Travel guide to Azerbaijan. Includes tourist information, maps, photos, history, culture, contacts, and weather.
- Travel.State.Gov – Azerbaijan – Offers travel information including Quick Facts, embassies and consulates, entry and exit requirements, safety and security, local laws, health, transportation and Fact Sheet. From the U.S. Department of State.
- Visit Azerbaijan – Azerbaijan’s official tourism portal. Provides detailed information about tourism in Azerbaijan.
- World Travel Guide – Azerbaijan – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements