Moldova is a small landlocked country in Eastern Europe, bordered by Romania to the west and Ukraine to the north, east, and south. Its capital and largest city is Chișinău.
Moldova declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and has since become a parliamentary republic. The country has a mixed economy, with agriculture being a significant sector, as well as industry and services. Moldova is known for its wine production, and has a rich cultural heritage, with influences from Romanian, Russian, and other neighboring countries.
Moldova is also one of the poorest countries in Europe, with high levels of corruption, political instability, and emigration. The country is striving to join the European Union and NATO, and has been implementing various reforms to improve its economic and political situation
Moldova may not be as well-known as some of its neighboring countries in terms of tourism, but it has several attractions and highlights that visitors can enjoy. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Moldova:
- Milestii Mici Winery – this winery is famous for having the largest wine cellar in the world, with over 2 million bottles of wine stored underground.
- Orheiul Vechi – a historical and archaeological complex that includes ancient cave monasteries, medieval fortresses, and stunning natural landscapes.
- Cricova Winery – another popular winery that offers wine tours and tastings, as well as the opportunity to explore its extensive underground cellars.
- National Museum of History of Moldova – located in the capital city of Chișinău, this museum offers a comprehensive overview of Moldovan history, culture, and traditions.
- Soroca Fortress – a well-preserved 15th-century fortress located in the northern part of the country.
- Transnistria – a self-proclaimed republic located in the eastern part of Moldova, with a unique political and cultural identity.
- Tipova Monastery – a beautiful monastery complex located in a picturesque canyon, known for its unique cave churches.
- Saharna Monastery – a pilgrimage site located near a stunning waterfall and surrounded by beautiful natural scenery.
These are just a few of the many attractions and highlights that Moldova has to offer. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or wine, there is something for everyone in this beautiful country