Visit the great number of museums operating throughout the country to admire impressive artifacts and scientific achievements of the more than 6,000 years unique Greek civilization. There are more than 207 state-run or supervised by the Ministry of Culture and 107 privately owned.
Greek museums and art collections are categorized as following:
- Archaeological Museums and Collections
- Byzantine Museums and Collections
- Greek Art Museums (Ancient, Byzantine, Modern Art)
- Historical and Folk Art Museums
- Asian Art Museums
- Visual Arts Museums and Picture Galleries
- Theatre Museums
- Music Museums
- Cinema and Photography Museums
- Natural History Museums
- Science and Technology Museums
- Naval Museums
Most state-run museums are open on all weekdays except Monday. Museums are closed on public holidays, January 1st, Good Friday, Easter Day, May 1st, Christmas (December 25 & 26 ), and for further information check with the information centre of the museum you wish to visit.
You are allowed to take photos as long as you don’t use a flashlight, but sometimes you need to ask for permission first.