Greece is endowed with a rich and diversified natural environment as a result of a rare geomorphology, with many striking natural contrasts and areas of great ecological value. Thousands of indented coasts, imposing rocky massifs, gorges, caves, rivers, lakes, biotopes of spectacular beauty and unique habitats in combination with the mild climate offer place ideal destinations for ecotourism and alternative forms of tourism.
In Greece, nature lovers have the opportunity to:
- wander in forests or explore national parks in the mountainous regions of the mainland, on certain islands and in the proximity of rivers and lakes
- enjoy the natural monuments, gorges, caves and waterfalls
- watch and admire rare bird species nesting or seeking refuge in coastal ecosystems and wetlands
- study the highly diverse floral life of the Greek countryside
- visit the marine parks near the islands of Alonissos and Zakynthos that provide shelter to two protected species, the Mediterranean monk seal, Monachus-Monachus, and the Mediterranean green loggerhead turtle, Caretta-Caretta, respectively
- engage in extreme sports, canoe-kayak, rafting, motor craft, hydro speed, mountain biking etc
- stay in agrotourist units developed all over the country and offering visitors the opportunity to become familiar with vernacular architecture, cultural and gastronomic tradition, local products, farming activities and the daily life of local inhabitants.
Don’t forget that ecologically sensitive areas have rules to observe for the protection of the environment against pollution, the non-disturbance of natural habitats and the preservation of the various ecosystems’ equilibrium. Information on visiting and participating in programs are offered in local information centers, local authorities and specialized agencies.
Some of the places, that is worth to visit:
- The Cave of Alistrati in Serres.
- The Cave of the Lakes in the village of Kastria, Peloponese
- Mount Olympus
- The Gorge of Samaria
- The Gorge of Vikos, in Epirus (near zagorochoria)
- The National Park of Valia Kalnta in Epirus
- The Lakes of Trihonida, Lysimahia and Ozero
- The Highlands of Naupaktia.
- Birds of Pray
- Birds of Marshlands
- Aquatic Birds
- Butterflies of Rhodes
- Flowers of the Mountains endemic and rare
- Many shots on Greek Nature, which cover practically the whole of Greece
- Beautiful images of the flora and fauna of the Aegean