Spain’s powerful world empire of the 16th and 17th centuries ultimately yielded command of the seas to England. Subsequent failure to embrace the mercantile and industrial revolutions caused the country to fall behind Britain, France, and Germany in economic and political power. Spain remained neutral in World Wars I and II but suffered through a devastating civil war (1936-39). A peaceful transition to democracy following the death of dictator Francisco FRANCO in 1975, and rapid economic modernization (Spain joined the EU in 1986) have given Spain one of the most dynamic economies in Europe and made it a global champion of freedom. Continuing challenges include Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) terrorism and relatively high unemployment.
The city of Barcelona is Gaudi’s cosmopolitan home on Mediterranean coast
More information on TravelguideEurope:
- Institute of Tourism of Spain – Provides information about cities, arts, Spanish culture, sports, beaches, environment, business travel, and accommodation.
- Accom Consulting Spain – Information about the country´s cities, history and culture plus advice on moving to and buying property in Spain.
- All About Spain – Guide in English, Spanish and German. Includes tourist and cultural information.
- Fellwalker Spain – Walking in Spain. Information on Spanish food and books, climbing and photos.
- Iberianature – Guide to Spain´s environment, geography, natural history and landscape. Includes Spanish-English nature dictionary.
- Ideal Spain – Details about travel, schools, employment opportunities and immersion in the Spanish culture.
- iExplore – Spain – Adventure and experiential travel group provides a guide on the country and its history, events, places to go and activities with tours, photos and other tourist information.
- In Spain – An overview of Spain covering its regions, culture and tourism.
- Lonely Planet – Spain – Comprehensive facts and advice for traveling along with background material on the culture and history of the country.
- MadridMan’s Spain Message Board – Share your Spain travel experiences and questions with the world. Forums include lodging, transportation, favorite places, nightlife, food and drink, packing, safety, working, studying, and anything else.
- Pineapple’s Travels – Information about travel to and living in Spain for people from Britain.
- Spain AOL Travel Guide – Reviews, hotel listings, tourism hot spots and other resources for traveling to Spain.
- Spain Dreams – Accommodation of all kinds on the coast and rural tourism, as well as active travel and ideas for incentives and events.
- Spain Guides – Hotel accommodation, holiday information, museums, weather and property listings.
- Spain Online – Includes hotel and apartment listings, restaurants, transport and general information about a number of locations.
- Spain-Info – Guide to culture, history, area guides, working, living, property, fiestas, bullfighting, and the world´s largest tomato fight.
- Spanish Living – Information on hotels, real estate, car rentals, entertainment, restaurants, casinos and shopping.
- Super 8 Tourist – Location Spain and Portugal – movies, pictures and journal.
- Top Tour of Spain – Provides a wide range of information on Spain including its geography, history and culture, plus a beginner´s guide to speaking Spanish.
- Traveling in Spain – Personal view of several cities and general tourist information, with photos by the author.
- TuSpain.com – Web magazine with tourist and cultural information.
- U.S. Department of State – Spain Consular Information Sheet – Offers travel information including Background Notes, entry and exit requirements, safety and security, crime, health and transport.
- World Sites Atlas: Spain Information Page – A collection of general and tourist information, plus Web links, maps, and photos for places in Spain.
- World Travel Guide – Spain – Tourist and business travel information with facts on climate, visa, health, passport, currency and customs requirements